Anyways, some personal lessons I’ve learnt though from the FPW were:
– everyone wants a piece of Ami Vitale (and Ron Haviv); I end up not gaining very much from Ami with minimal contact time
be assertive and selfish
– it’s a very competitive dog-eat-dog profession which truly is about the early bird getting the worm kind of situation. And trust me, it’s not just photos as I would view them … there are heaps of over achievers (ahem… kiasu–ness at its extreme)
have some spine
– yeah, stop being a Libra basically (this is strictly for me). Stay true to yourself – go with the project and shooting style you like and want; not what the instructor thinks and wants you to do.
substance abuse is good
– a sure way to get accepted and have ‘friends’ is to drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney
go with quirky if you ain’t any good
– seriously only two stories are stuck to my mind:
(i) “Dark Matter” with its classic tag line of ‘Yessh, fairy woman is nice. I want to marry fairy woman. Dark is good oso. But fairy is better.’ Classic!
(ii) “Honeymooners in Manali“
[and Dhiraj Singh (Mumbai) – not in photo, but check out his work! Fantastic mind blowing stuff – definitely an up and coming photojournalist to watch out for… not to mention the humility and warm.]These were the cool guys I hung out with … and errr… also passed on my flu. Sorry guys!